Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Clutch starting to go?

Yes, the clutch is about to go bye bye and I know it. Although I've treated the clutch as nice as possible (rev matching, no hard shifting, no hard launches, etc), the car has 26,000+ miles with multiple events under its belt.

How do I know it's going? Well, the clutch catching point (engagement) is evidently much higher than when the car was new, and the grip seems to be weaker. I did do a few hard pulls while I was playing around with the Mitsulogger software and there was no sign of any slipping at all.

I'm hoping it will last me until the winter is over, as long as I don't do anything crazy, and I will began tackling the dismantling of the tranny and install.

So far I've considered two options, the ACT + Fidanza combo or the Exedy HD Twin Disc + Fidanza. Exedy being 3 times as much as ACT in cost is alarming, and decision would be dependent on what the Evo is going to become.

The ultimate goal for the Evo? Daily Driver/Weekend warrior? Race Only car? Show car?

As the mods began to pile up in the car, the driveability and resell value will be deeply impacted, and that's a decision I have to live with if I go that route.