Friday, November 30, 2007

Project Evo Tuning (Let's add a sprinkle of Subaru)

Dare I say this?

Many have asked, and YES I am bringing Subaru's into the Project Evo Tuning Series! There I said it. I figure why not?

For the longest time Evo's and STI's have been compared in every aspect from the AWD performance to their chick magnet rating, and it is now time for me to compare their OBD-II data!

I realize they're vastly different in engine design, and thus I'm expecting the data collected from these Factory Tuned vehicles to be very revealing about their performance advantages.

Predictions
Following my datalogging traditions, I will be carefully monitoring Airflow, Timing Advance, and Knock Sum.

  • The 6- Speed Gearbox that came on the STI and the MR are distinctly different . I'm not a transmission expert so I wouldn't know how to interpret it, but I know these ratios will affect the values I will be seeing. Look at how the STI is consistently lower-geared throughout.
  • 2.5 versus 2.0 Liter: Displacement difference is going to contribute to the airflow values greatly. Would I see a higher spike in Airflow in the STI, with the MR catching up midway through the RPM?
  • Turbocharger Size: Need I say more?
Become Part of Gus' Tuning Story

If you have $1 for me, I will take it!

The money will go toward purchasing a Wideband O2, Evo Scan, and a Digital Boost Gauge.



I will think of good ways to reward you when it's all said and done.

~ Look out Subaru's here I come!