Saturday, July 28, 2007

My Secret Affair with the Fairlady

Yes, I confess for I have done something really wrong. I have been caught red handed having an intimate relationship with a beautiful Silver 350Z for the past days while I left my clueless White Evo at home sitting innocently in the garage.

As most of you already know, I have an infatuation with the VQ35 motor and since the last time I test drove the G35 (coupe and sedan), I'm totally hooked on needing that feeling again. This time, however, I went for the prettier one in the family, the Fairlady Z.

Since the company I currently work for has a corporate discount on Nissan automobile, I contemplated the idea of trading in (no I didn't say that did I???) the Evo for the 2007 350Z to see where I will be financially after the dust settles. There are three things that I demanded I need on the Z, and I can live without the other things: 1) HID 2) 6-Speed 3) LSD.

Since I had been back to this dealership so many times to inquire about the Z, I've became very good friends with this one salesperson. He was very helpful in everything and did not have the typical "hurry the hell up and buy the car" attitude like most conventional salesperson.

Probably the 3rd time I came back to visit, the dealership just obtained a used 350Z that had a good amount of mileage on it. I asked for a test drive where I can take it on the freeway and open it up, and the dealer said sure take the used car. WOW!


Of course I had to sign some paperwork to release liability and temporarily insure the car under my own insurance (almost like the car rental), and off I went onto the freeway.

As I slipped into the car, immediately I loved how the seating position felt and approve the locations of where they placed all the functional buttons. Instantly I started playing around with the computer gadget output on the center console dash which displayed tire pressure, fuel mileage, velocity, amongst other stuff. One thing that really had my favor was the intelligent redline light that driver can set when it will turn on.

Overall the car had amazing amount of torque in the low RPM range; even in 6th gear the local residential area speed limit wasn't a problem. The gears had comfortable ratios and the shifting felt solid. One thing that I loved more and more was the attention you get, not only from driving a beautiful looking car, but from the nice exhaust tone it generates at all ranges of the RPM.

Now the performance: Unfortunate to say it lacks the fun factor when the pedal goes down into the metal. Yes, off the line the rear tires could spin easily if not careful with the clutch, but higher gears did not put a grin on my face. The suspension response, one would think, should be superior due to all of the strut ties and structural reinforcements. Unfortunately that's also a disappointment. The agility of the vehicle is a far cry from what the driver can do with one finger navigating the Evo. I felt like I set in a luxurious boat that rocks back and forth when I change lanes.

Yes, the attractive features of the two seater and the hatch sloped back really seduces the car enthusiasts crowd. When the Fairlady drives by on the street, it's almost like a girl walking by in a mini-skirt; all eyes must stare! But when the fantasy is over, and I finally wake up and realized that in order to get the Z I have to trade in my Brembo's, BBS Rims, Momo, Recaro's, ACD/AWD, backseats, trunk space, and worst of all Turbocharger!!! I say to myself...why have I been cheating on the Evo?

Time to go home and apologize...