Friday, November 16, 2007

Project Evo Tuning (The Beginning)

Cars now-a-day comes with such technologically advanced engine management system, it is amazing how much you can do with it. Fuel trim, timing, boost, and much much more can be adjusted at a click of a button.

The allure of tweeking the ecu to gain horsepower is becomming so popular, and it seems like anybody with a laptop can become a tuning guru. It is now my turn to get good at it.

I want to start off my project by testing out the myth that by leaning out the rich factory a/f settings and adjusting the active intake valve timing (MIVEC system on the Evo 9), one can gain around 30 hp at the crank. Just to put that in perspective, a stock Evolution 9 MR usually dyno's at 230hp on a roller dyno. My target is 260hp.

I already have the OBD2 cable in possession which I purchased from (http://www.tactrix.com/) and it is now time to find out what else I need.