Saturday, November 17, 2007

Project Evo Tuning (first attempt with ECUFlash + a little snag)

Wow, believe it or not, installing ECUFlash and making it work takes A LOT of effort. In fact if you search around in the OpenECU forum (where you will find most of your answers), you will find that majority of the posts are written by people who are having issues with the computer communicating with the car ECU.

One thing I discovered is the OBD2 cable that I have requires a driver to be installed before use. The good thing is ECUFlash software has the driver built into the program, so as long as you install the ECUFlash program correctly, the cable should work. Here's the steps that I took which worked for me:

1) Download OpenECU
2) Plug the OBD2 Cable to the car (both the OBD2 port and the flash port)
3) Plug the OBD2 Cable to the computer
At this point, it's going to prompt you to choose a driver. I ignored the prompt
4) Run the OpenECU exe file to begin install
5) Go through the steps, and when it's about 90% complete with install, it's going to open another window which will install the cable driver for you.
6) Finish install
You should be all done now.

I was successful in pulling the data from the ECU on the initial try! YES! The first thing I did was read the immobilization code and write it down somewhere safe. Since all cars have different immobilization code, you can imagine the horror stories of how people cannot start their car after using a map from another car. Remember, once you lose the code, you will never get it back. Time to flat bed your car to the dealership where they will void your warranty for messing around with the ECU!

One problem I did run into occured when I tried to save the ROM. Somehow I kept getting the error message below:I found out that it has to do with my OS so I'm going to reimage my computer and try again.

To be continued...